I shall start this TORTILLA POST with a picture from a BURRITO bar, because I can.
Honestly, this is the only Mexican themed picture I have. Tortillas…everyone has their own version and their own liking. What I do is simple, I place a lot of bowls with different ingredients on the table and let everyone choose whatever they like, similar to Turkish meze. Tortilje…svatko ima svoju verziju, svatko ima svoju preferencu.
What is on my Mexican meze table?
- elementary: tortillas
- meat: minced in tomato and cumin sauce, chicken pieces with salt and cumin
- beans: boiled and sauted with a lot of onions and cumin (cumin equals Mexican to me)
- salsa: mix of tomatoes, grill peppers, spring onions and garlic
- veggies: lettuce, corn, pickled jalapenos, regular fresh red chili
- sauces: cream, tabasco, sambal oelek (chili paste)
- extra condiments: fresh coriander leaves, lime, fried onions, grated melty cheese
For me tortilla should be a colorful combination of all my favorites, aesthetically attractive and made just for me.
If you wanna bake your own tortillas:
- Mix 500 g of regular flour with 1 tea spoon of baking powder and 2 tea spoons of salt. Add 125 ml of groundnut oil and 200 ml of warm tepid water. Bring it all together and knead on a floury surface for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Put in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let it proof for 1 hour.
- Then divide the dough into 12 balls and flatten each one with your hand. Roll out into 2 mm thick and 18 cm wide tortilla.
- Bake on a dry hot griddle pan 1 minute each side.
About the meat:
- Chop up one onion and saute, add seasoned minced meat (I use pork shoulder) and fry until brown.
- Pour in 500 ml of tomato sauce and heaped table spoon of ground cumin. Cover and le it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Chicken: chop up into little pieces, marinate in oil, salt and cumin and fry until golden.
About the beans:
- Slice up 3 bigger onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add 2 bigger tins of red beans (drain one), 1/2 table spoon of cumin and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop up 3 tomatoes, 1 jar of grilled paprikas and 4 spring onions, add 1 chopped up clove of garlic, pinch of salt, handful of chopped up coriander stalks and juice of 1 1/2 lime. Mix well and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Everything else, just serve in little bowls. I always use jalapenos, fried onions and chili paste.
Here you go, me as a tortilla.