I really really like this butter bagels so much that I’m avoiding making them since I can’t have just one or two, but five. And with extra butter on the side. Or make a warm sandwich out of it with a little bit of salty butter and some nice salami. I think I know how my night is going to end. 😀 Anyways, I tried this recipe couple of times and it gives this beautiful soft, airy, fluffy, milky sweet, melts in your mouth bagel with a nice buttery kick. Smeared with home grown organic egg yolk and sprinkled with sesame, caraway or poppy seeds. Brilliant.
- 500 g regular flour
- 1 1/2 satchels of dried yeast
- 1 tblspoon of salt
- 1 tblspoon of sugar
- 250 ml of milk
- 120 g of butter
- 1 egg
- handful of seeds
- Warm up the milk (shouldn’t be hot, just warm( and add sugar and yeast. Leave on the side to bubble away for couple of minutes.
- Pour the flour into a big bowl, add the salt, the bubbly yeast and butter (room temperature), roll up your sleeves and knead a nice, soft, silky dough. Work it for some time for the butter to be evenly distributed in the dough and for the gluten web to develop.
- Cover with clean tea towel and leave to proof until double in size (can take from one to two hours).
- Punch out the air and knead again until you get a shape of a fat cigar. Cut it into two fingers thick slices and roll each one into a ball.
- Roll out the balls into uneven circular shapes and roll like a cigar.
- Place on grease proof paper (leave space between them), smear with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with seeds of your choice.
- Bake on 180 Celsius degrees for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Serve with whatever since they go with everything.