Ginger breads with a touch of orange zest are a perfect treat for this time of the year. Sweet, spicy, in any case irresistible. I am a huge ginger fan so I always add a pinch too much, just in case. With a little bit of effort and decorating they can be a perfect ornament or a gift.
- 1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
- 2 table spoons of ground ginger
- 1 table spoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ tea spoon of baking soda
- ¼ table spoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ of ground nutmeg
- ¼ table spoon of ground star anise
- Pinch of salt
- 250 g of butter
- 250 g of brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of molasses
- 2 drops of wild orange essential oil*
- 250 g of powdered sugar
- Mix the flour, salt, soda and spices..
- Beat up the butter, then add the sugar and the yolk. Beat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is foamy. Add the vanilla, molasses, zest and essential oil.
- Add everything together and make a dough.
- Divide into 3 parts, cover in cling film and leave in the fridge over night.
- Roll out to half a centimeter thick and cut with differently shaped molds.
- Bake for 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 Celsius degrees.
- For the glaze mix 250 g of powdered sugar with 4 tea spoons of cold water and mix until thick and liquidy. Add the coloring to your preference.
You can add the ground turmeric or cocoa to the dough for different colors. Be careful with baking, they burn easily.