Chicken with root veggies, a recipe that came to be on accident. One day I opened the fridge and found only couple of pieces with chicken, some root veg for the soup and a lettuce (on an iffy side). Since these aren’t the times to just pop down to the shop I decided to make the best I can with what I have and it was one of the best ones. Meat is tender and juicy, veg is delish and the sauce is heavenly.
It’s a simple recipe for which you need a pot that can go on both the stove and the oven, couple of pieces of chicken with bones, some root veggies, a couple of capers and tomato pure. A dish that comforts both taste buds and pockets.
Chicken with root veggies
- 500-600 g chicken with bones I used leg and thigh pieces
- 1 medium (80-100 g) onion cleaned and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil such as sunflower or canola
- 350 ml water
- 100 g carrot peeled and sliced into circles
- 100 g parsley (root) peeled and sliced into circles
- 100 ml tomato pure
- 15 g (small bunch) parsley leaf
- 30 g wild garlic optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp capers (10-12 pieces) drained
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat up a pot (one that can go in the oven) on a medium high heat and add the oil. When oil is hot add in the garlic and fry for 3 minutes until golden-light brown.
- Pour in 50 ml of water and saute for 7-10 minutes, until the water evaporates.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 minutes on one side. Then pour in 100 ml of water and flip the chicken and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Put in the carrot and parsley root, capers alongside salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then add the tomato pure, herbs and 200 ml of water, cover with a lid and put in the preheated oven for 15 minutes (200°C). Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve as is, or with some mashed potatoes, rice or salad.
Don’t forget to pour that delicious sauce over the meat and the side dish.