It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with Jamie, so when I finally got his new cookbook in my hands I spent all of my time studying it religiously to find the perfect recipes for my weak student budget. The decision was made, last weekend in a blink of an eye , to do the magic poached egg with smashed avo & seeded toast for brekkie. If you have never tried avocado in your sandwiches you are missing out big time, it’s one of the best things you can put in a sandwich.
For 2 sandwiches you need:
- olive oil
- 1/2 chili
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe tomatoes or, my way, handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 of red onion
- 2 thick slices of whole wheat bread with seeds
- 4 springs of coriander or my way, parsley
- Lay plastic wrap over one small cup or bowl, and tuck it in with extra wrap sticking on the outside. Rub some olive oil on it, then chop some chili and add it inside. Carefully crack an egg and then pull the sides of the plastic wrap, gently squeeze out the air and tie a knot. Do the same with the other egg. If my instructions aren’t clear enough check the tutorial, it’s version no 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAWduxoCgVk
- Put the pan with water on a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Drop the tomatoes into the water for a minute and then take them out and put in some cold water for a minute. Peel and chop them into eights and remove the seedy center. Grate the onion, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt, black pepper and juice of half a lime. and mix everything together.
- In the same pan put your eggs to poach for 6 minutes, so they come out soft boiled.
- Meanwhile peel and pit the avocado and then smash it with the rest of lime juice and season to perfection.
- Toast the bread and spread the avocado on it like butter and cover with the tomato-onion mixture. Unwrap your eggs and put them on top. Garnish with some cilantro leaves.
Wow this looks super yummy!! I’ll have to make one of these up tomorrow, it looks great 🙂 xx
Thank youuu 😀 It really tastes amazing, I’m sure you won’t regret it 😉 lemme know what you think when you try it xx