To be clear, this is not a traditional ramen recipe, this is my ”quick” home made version. It consists of vegetarian broth although usually it’s a meat broth (mainly pork) or fish one. I chose vege one so I can serve it to my veggie friends with tofu. My ramen bowl is made of chicken, egg noodles, vege broth, boiled egg (hard or soft), a lot of spring onions and crunchy vegetables.
Ingredients for 1 l of broth (4-6 portions):
- Vegetable scrapes or a vegetable broth cube
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms and 300 g of brown button mushrooms (they give that umami flavor)
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- Bunch of fresh parsely
- 1 kilo of yellow onions
- 2 whole garlics
- Soy sauce
- Curry powder, coriander in powder and 5spice
- For the first layer of taste put the vegetable scrapes into 1,5 l of water and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 1 hour. If you use vegetable cube, use 3 and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take out the scrapes and add the roughly chopped coriander and parsley, unpeeled onion cut into quarters and garlic cut horizontally. Add 2 spoons of soy sauce and mushrooms and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of curry hot, 1 tea spoon of ground coriander and 1 tea spoon of 5spice. Add 2 more table spoons of soy sauce and cook for further 30 more minutes. Take everything out of the broth (keep the mushrooms for later if you want), season with salt and cook for couple of more minutes.
- Cook the noodles (400 g) according to instructions.
- While the broth is simmering, cut the chicken breast (500 g) into cubes, season with 2-3 table spoons of soy sauce and 1 table spoon of sugar. Heat the oil in a wok until very hot and fry the chicken.
- Cut the vegetable of your choice (500 g) and season with some rice vinegar. Boil the eggs (4-6). Chop up a lot of spring onions.
- Create the ramen. Put the noodles in a bowl, add the chicken into one corner and pour over a lot of broth. Put the vegetables into one corner, lay an egg on top and sprinkle with a fair amount of spring onions. You can add algae, tofu, sesame seeds, fried mushrooms.
Don’t forget to slurp the noodles and enjoy,